Wednesday, February 15, 2012

History of George Ford, from daughter Louise Ann Ford

George Ford was the founder of the US International 14 class. George was a champion sailor in the LSSA (Lake Sailing Skiff Association) 14 class in the 1930's and participated in the International Team Race sailed with both the International 14's (England) and LSSA 14-foot dinghies (Canada and the U.S) in Toronto, 1934. The English team trounced the Canadians and Americans, and George, seeing the writing on the wall, imported the Uffa Fox design R.I.P. in 1934/1935. George then proceeded to set up a boatbuilding operation out of Rochester NY to produce copies of the R.I.P. design . George tirelessly promoted the new 'International 14' class until he retired from 14's in 1949. The original English built R.I.P. was designated US #1.

Louise Ann Ford, daughter of George Ford, has a scrapbook of her father's sailing exploits and is kindly sharing them with the 'Old 14er'.

As I get Louse's material into the computer, I will post them.

Thanks again to Louise Ann Ford for sharing

1 comment:

  1. Hello and thank you for all this information..

    I just bought an old IN14 from 1950 (?)...

    The boat apparently came from the Toronto RCYC..

    Still working out details on the boat and the modifications done to it..

    I am searching online to find old drawings...

    I have two sets of Mains and one Jib..
    The old owner has/had a set of original Cloth Sails...

    Thank you again for this info

    MArk

    ReplyDelete