Sunday, January 5, 2014

Chris Benedict with his Mk1's under construction

Mark Adams sends along a photo of Chris Benedict with his original Mk 1's under construction, circa 1978 (cold-molded out of Western red cedar). Of all the American designers of International 14's of my generation, Chris was the one who made it big (at least big in terms of I-14's). He garnered a large share of the new British market with his popular Mk IV, even moving to England to be close to the dinghy action. He also developed a junior trainer, the 404 for a English builder (maybe Ovington, I can't remember).

Chris was out of San Francisco and made his name initially as an excellent boatbuilder, working for the firm Sailnetics that produced top quality Fireballs and Kirby MkIV's in glass composite. One of the legends in the class; sadly, mostly unknown to the larger sailracing community.



7 comments:

  1. Wow! My memory is always suspect, so I'll just say that my impression is that by 1972, when I owned an I-14, wood was out & glass was in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doc,

    Your memory is mostly correct. However many times the initial build of a new design (even in the 1970's) was in wood with glass production coming later. These four wood Bene I's would follow with a production glass run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, that might be my boat, us 1000, also called the millennium falcon by its first owner, Alan Laflin. It was the plug for a bunch of fiberglass hulls.
    Glad I stumbled on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just came across this 4 years later. Chris is standing next to my boat, US 990. The boat in the background was going to be Chris' but he sold it to Bob Curry in Souther California, who finished it off. US 1000 was indeed the plug for the subsequent run of glass boats that followed.

      Delete
  4. Unknown,

    Are you located on the West Coast? I would be interested in where US 1000 ended up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I looked up M A Souter England and it has thrown up this site! I was wondering if you or anyone in your orbit would have information on a wee boat I have with Tender to Lucayan Chief engraved on the transom and a plate with M A Souter England. it is cold-moulded. Any help would be appreciated.

      Delete